Mining for gold will not be easy, but what we find will be priceless!



HOW TO: Experience genealogy, family history activities, family photos and pedigree charts while we search family connections and collections. Write your life story, or keep a journal. Become the caretaker for precious family photos. Learn the stories, and how to protect treasures of family significance.

Friday, July 29, 2011

Friday Family Story... Birth Certificate

Allan King Fowler  -- gold dust, just a little family history tidbit


So I found out that my dad's birth certificate is wrong!

My father- Allan King Fowler, was born on February 28, 1928.  At least, that is what we always thought.
However, in talking to my Great-Aunt Doris, she tells me that he was actually born on February 29th. Doris Fowler Komm was the youngest sister of Douglas Bradshaw Fowler.

Douglas Bradshaw Fowler was my grandfather, but he was also the local family doctor in southern Alberta. So, when his wife, Louise King Fowler was ready to deliver their baby it was actually born on February 29th in a leap year. He didn't want his son to only have a birthday every 4 years, so he just changed the birth date on the birth certificate.

My Dad: Allan King Fowler
Parents: Douglas Bradshaw Fowler and Louise King Fowler
Born: February 28, 1928
Place: Magrath, Alberta, Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment