Mining for gold will not be easy, but what we find will be priceless!



HOW TO: Experience genealogy, family history activities, family photos and pedigree charts while we search family connections and collections. Write your life story, or keep a journal. Become the caretaker for precious family photos. Learn the stories, and how to protect treasures of family significance.

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Googling Grandma



Today,  I sat down with my laptop and decided to enter my grandmother's name - Caroline McMurray Davies - into the Google search.

Here is what I found: there was a link to her obituary in Calgary paper. It showed her death date as June 3rd, 1981, the obituary ran two days in the paper on June 4th and 5th, 1981.(Where was I at that time? How old was I? I need to know these things to put everything into perspective)

It says she was 79 when she died, I had never bothered to figure that out before.  My mom is 83, and still lives alone and takes care of herself. My grandma had been in a rest home for a number of years (I need to find that out) with Parkinson's disease.

(This post qualifies as "Gold flecks" because even though I found information- I need to search deeper- for facts  to find out some more details.)

There was also a link to one of grandma's brothers - Milford - it showed several pieces of information about him, but one thing that was wrong was it listed one of his sisters being named Hattie, and her name was really Lottie.

It shows how important to use primary sources and not just take what you find on the internet as true.

Laptop compliments of my son, John. Thanks!                       

No comments:

Post a Comment