Mining for gold will not be easy, but what we find will be priceless!



HOW TO: Experience genealogy, family history activities, family photos and pedigree charts while we search family connections and collections. Write your life story, or keep a journal. Become the caretaker for precious family photos. Learn the stories, and how to protect treasures of family significance.

Saturday, August 6, 2011

McMurray Family Group Sheet

I have in my possession a family group sheet where my grandmother, Caroline McMurray was a child in the family. This family group sheet is especially special because it has pictures of all the people.

I have been looking at it a lot, looking at pictures, looking at dates, and I got to thinking about her siblings.

Caroline McMurray was the second youngest in a family of 10 children.  Her younger sister, Lila Leora McMurray was Aunt Lila-"with the white hair".  I don't think we called her that to her face but my sisters and I always referred to her that way because on my dad's side we had another Aunt Lila and this was a way to differentiate. Her white hair was really beautiful and she was just a lovely and gracious person. Caroline and Lila were the only children in that family who were born after them moved to Canada. the other eight siblings were born in the United States.

I also remember an Aunt Jennie, but I think as a kid I really didn't know how she was my aunt. Now I sit here looking at this picture from long ago- probably her wedding picture for 25 March 1913- I can see her face in that picture. I wish I had paid more attention.

Today, as I am holding this family group sheet in my hands and it caused me to wonder "Why don't I know or remember any of the others?"  The answer: they all died before I was born or when I was very young.

Here is a list of her family:
Father- James Stevenson McMurray   born: 13 July 1863 - died:22 June 1948
Mother- Sarah Ann Orr    born: 20 Dec 1867 - died: 29 Aug 1901
Brother- Joseph McMurray   born: 9 Feb 1887 - died 28 Sept 1958
Brother - Parley McMurray    born: 25 Sept 1888 - died:22 Nov 1940
Sister - Sadie McMurray    born: 8 Sept 1890 - died: 15 Mar 1891 - she was just a baby
Sister -Lottie McMurray    born: 2 Mar 1892 - died: 7 Oct 1916
Sister - Jennie McMurray    born: 17 Dec 1893 - died
Sister - Eva McMurray    born: 27 July 1896 - died: 19 Feb 1920
Brother - Milford McMurray    born: 15 Dec 1897 - died: 12 Sept 1950
Brother - Richard McMurray    born: 12 Oct 1900 - died: 5 Mar 1952
Self - Caroline McMurray    born: 11 March 1902 - died 3 June 1981
Sister- Lila Leora McMurray   born: 7 Apr 1909 - died        

No comments:

Post a Comment