Mining for gold will not be easy, but what we find will be priceless!



HOW TO: Experience genealogy, family history activities, family photos and pedigree charts while we search family connections and collections. Write your life story, or keep a journal. Become the caretaker for precious family photos. Learn the stories, and how to protect treasures of family significance.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Labeling my File Folders

I am still  trying to figure out just how I want to start labeling my folders.

My personality wants them all typed on labels with an interesting font...but then I am too committed. . .           So, I will actually start with a pencil and set up a file folder for my great-grandfather James Stevenson McMurray(the father of Caroline McMurray, my grandmother).  I also have information on his parents so I will set up a file for them also. 


Everyone I have talked to has a different slant to the way they want their files named . . . so that tells me there is no right or wrong way. By starting in pencil I can easily change my system if I decide to.

I am using plain manila files, but imaging how pretty it would look to have different colors, and use a certain color for the different lines on your pedigree chart. I love color coding, so maybe after a while I will change to colored folders - I will let you know.

Filing by Couple or Family Group
  • every couple on your pedigree chart gets a file folder
  • label the folder with the names of the couple (wife's maiden name)
  • list names of the couple's children on the outside for the file folder for quick reference
  • if a child is married, make a file folder for that marriage
Filing by Surname and Type of Record
  • create file folders for surname/record type combination's
  • label folders with surname, followed by the type of record, e.g., Davies: Obituaries or Davies: Census Records
  • arrange file folders alphabetically by surname then alphabetically by type of record

No comments:

Post a Comment