Mining for gold will not be easy, but what we find will be priceless!



HOW TO: Experience genealogy, family history activities, family photos and pedigree charts while we search family connections and collections. Write your life story, or keep a journal. Become the caretaker for precious family photos. Learn the stories, and how to protect treasures of family significance.

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Launa Fowler Stout - My Own Story

One spiral notebook

Thinking about my ancestors has made me think about writing my own story. I should be journaling my  experiences but also need to go back and write my past.

In 1979 we moved to Ft. Riley, Kansas. I was taking a class where the teacher challenged us to write everyday in a journal.  I didn't feel that my life was special enough to go out a buy a nice journal. I was also worried that my handwriting was not going to be neat enough, so I just bought an orange spiral notebook. I filled up several orange spiral notebooks over the next year or so.

What did I learn from that experience?
My life as I was in the day-to-day of it didn't seem too spectacular, but when looking back on the experiences from the writings in my journal, it was pretty amazing.  I found that by reading those pages floods of memories came to my mind, and now, because it is in print and I can read it,  I remember the year we spend in Kansas as one of the best years.

I wish I had bought a nice journal when I started, because my life was worth it, and it didn't matter that my handwriting was not perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment