Mining for gold will not be easy, but what we find will be priceless!



HOW TO: Experience genealogy, family history activities, family photos and pedigree charts while we search family connections and collections. Write your life story, or keep a journal. Become the caretaker for precious family photos. Learn the stories, and how to protect treasures of family significance.

Friday, August 5, 2011

Caroline McMurray Davies - the stork's visit

Having a Baby - in 1939

An oral interview with my mother, Glenna, about her mother, Caroline McMurray Davies.

Question: Tell a memory you have of your mother.
Answer:
 I was only ten years old when we noticed Mother was getting  bit heavy around the middle. Let me tell you in those days it seemed you were still supposed to think the stork brought babies. My mom's pregnancy was never discussed with us as children.  Shirley being the oldest knew a little more. It was unbelievable when I look back. One time in the fall of the year my dad was off doing some custom combining, and I assume Mother may have had some indication things were not going right so she had Shirley get on the horse a mile and a half to make a phone call and have Dad come home. (we had no phone) this she did, but still no one let on that anything was amiss. Dad came home and they went to see the doctor. She seemed to get better after that but everyone was still concerned after that.

Mother kept getting a bit bigger, but still nothing was talked about. At this time in our lives my sister and I were getting bussed into town for school. I remember that on the afternoon January 30, 1939 while on the bus heading home, the bus driver told s that our dad said we could come home to town with him and to meet him downtown.  When we got down town Dad said mom was in the hospital, but there was still no mention of why, but by then I was suspicious, but we never even talked about it. We visited mom, had supper in the cafeteria but now it was getting late.  Dad had milking to do and other chores so he had to get home, so we left Mother at the hospital, but by now I knew what was going on.


We had no phone, so no communication. Shirley and I took the school bus to town the next morning, but I stayed on the bus and rode downtown to go to the hospital to see how my mother was.  I was met at the door by the head nurse who informed me that I had a new baby brother and that I could go up stairs to see my mom.  I was so excited that I could hardly stand it.  So I guess you could say that I was the last to know, but the first to know about the end result.


Dad came to town as soon as he got the morning chores done. After school Shirley and I went down to the hospital, and of course we were thrilled for a new baby brother.  Mothers stayed in the hospital about two weeks in those days, so it was awhile before we got to take him home. My dad was so thrilled to get a boy.

When I think back to how things were with a new baby in those days compared to new babies today. My mom had sewed diapers, and made some little night gown and little kimonos to wear when it was cold. Parents did the best they could; we were not able to call the doctor over every little problem which came up.  I remember about two times when Murray was a baby that dad went to the neighbors and called the doctor who drove seven miles to our home to help determine the problem.


I remember for about ten weeks Mother had a hired girl come and help in the house to help with laundry and chores, but my sister had to help more after she left. times were tough in those days and hired girls who helped out were paid about $4.00 per week, and helped with other house work as well. I also remember she slept in the same bed as Shirley  and I. the bed sagged in the middle and she slept in the middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment